The new Shed Field Wiffleball League logo is finally unveiled! Here is the breakdown of the new logo:
We pay tribute to the Minnesota Twins with the colors in the logo. The blue, red, and gold are all Twins colors. The gold is new to the Twins this year, and we decided to go with gold as well. After all, we are a MN wiffleball league.
You might have recognized the swing right away. That batter is Harmon Killebrew. We silhouetted an image of the "Killer" himself. The logo designer was searching for ideas and really wanted to incorporate some Minnesota baseball history and nostalgia into the new logo.
The namesake of the league, the Shed, is in the background of the logo. The logo would not be complete without it.
The font of the "SFWL" was also well thought out. We wanted another throwback with a turn-of-the-century font that makes you feel like you are reading headlines from a 1900's newspaper.
We worked hard on this new logo (well, not that hard), and would love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment and let us know what you think!
The new Shed Field Wiffleball League logo is set to be unveiled by December 1st. Here is what the SFWL logo would look like if we copied other popular wiffleball leagues:
Shed Field Wiffleball League: Coming 2015
As some of you may have seen, our league making some big changes for 2015. Most importantly, we renamed our league to the Shed Field Wiffleball League. The new name will establish a new era in our league. We will say goodbye to "pick-per-series" or "pick-up" wiffleball and debut with 4 franchises in 2015. Team managers are yet to be announced. They should be known by March 1, 2015. Each of the 4 teams will play 10 games before August 1st, 2015. The playoffs will follow later in August on a weekend TBD.
Another big announcement will be the opening of the Shed Field Hall of Fame on Opening Day. Several historical artifacts will be displayed. Voting for the inaugural HOF class will begin on Opening Day and the 2015 HOF class will be announced during playoff weekend.
Shed Field will undergo off-season renovations also. Dirt basepaths and a new pitching mound will be installed. A yellow line will be painted a top the fence. A couple other changes are being discussed, including a newly constructed dugout.
Shed Field has been home the ALS Charity Wiffleball Tournament for the past two years, but will not host it in 2015. For more information on the 3rd Annual ALS Charity Wiffleball Tournament visit http://alsmn-wiffleball.weebly.com/.
A new domain name will put in place soon, so make sure you follow the SFWL on Twitter to stay up to date on any website changes. @shedfieldwiffle
Thank you for your interest in our league and we will see you back next season. Stay on your toes for any other big announcements!
Shed Field Wiffleball League
With the Bonfire Wiffleball Association gone and the Shed Field Wiffleball League set to debut in 2015, it is time to go over some of the biggest moments in BWA history and look at the record books.
Top Moments in BWA History (in no particular order):
1. Opening Day 2013: A record for number of players in one week was set. This was the vision of the Bonfire Wiffleball Association but the record was never broken for the rest of the the league's history.
2. John Cronin's No-Hitter, Week 3 2013: John Cronin stepped on the mound that day and didn't give up a single hit while throwing 10 K's (the max number of strikeouts, 5 inning games, 2 outs/inning). This was before the "medium-slow" pitch speed rule was put in effect. Actually, John was so dominant that the rule had to be put in effect.
3. Joe Cronin hits 11 HR in one game: Pretty self-explanatory. This record hasn't even come close to being broken.
4. Andrew Cronin's Perfect Game: Probably the best moment in BWA history. The fact that an 8 year old could throw a perfect game is what makes this league so special. He didn't strike anyone out, but John and Pat Cronin provided stellar defense to help Andrew achieve history.
5. Week 5 2014: The best regular season game of 2014 occurred in Week 5. A back and forth battle with game tying grand slams and double plays. This game would take a full page to explain and go through all the big events. Watch the video below to try to get a feel for it. You just had to be there. The exciting game starts at 2:21.
6. Week 2, 2014: This was the first time games were played outside of Shed Field. Games took place at Trailer Field. The games here helped give a vision of a new league.
7. 2013 and 2014 Playoffs: Of course the playoffs had to be included. 2013 was a mud bath and the field was incredibly torn up. The passion of the players could be seen by looking at their clothes, if they were dirty, they were trying. 2014 was another exciting playoffs. The highlight of the day was Yvonne Cronin hitting a game-winning HR in the 4th inning and Leonard Cronin making the catch of the year to end the game in the 5th.
The Bonfire Wiffleball Association was filled with many good memories, but the Shed Field Wiffleball League will create many more. Stay along for our journey!