Andrew Cronin will hit over 20 HR this season. In a recent spring training game he was flashing his power. It is very likely he can accomplish this feat if he follows these guidelines:
1. Stay small in the strike zone- Andrew is not very tall, and he will benefit from a recent rule change stating all players under the age of 10 have a different strike zone. Pitchers will have to pitch to him in his strike zone resulting in more HR.
2. Be a kid- Adult pitchers have some sympathy for children playing. Andrew has already proven he can play with the "big kids", throwing a perfect game last year. You don't need to lob pitches over into the strike zone with Andrew, but pitchers still will do so, resulting in more HR.
3. Hit from the "right" side of the plate- Andrew is a switch hitter. He has shown more power from the right side of the plate recently, but we don't know for sure which side is his powerful side. He needs to figure our quickly which side he likes best and stick to it if he wants to consistently slug HR.
4. Use a powerful bat- While most batters go with the classic yellow bat at the plate, Andrew should stick with the black or grey bat this season. The black and grey bats have more "pop" to them and help aid the ball over the fence. By the end of the season Andrew will stick to the yellow bat and still hit HR.
5. Have fun- When he is in a good mood and just having a good time, Andrew is one of the best players in the league. Of course, when he is having fun, he is playing with a lot of heart and passion. These qualities are greater than all the power and strength in the world and Andrew sure knows how to use them. His love of the game will help him reach the 20 HR plateau.
Article by John Cronin