With the Bonfire Wiffleball Association gone and the Shed Field Wiffleball League set to debut in 2015, it is time to go over some of the biggest moments in BWA history and look at the record books.
Top Moments in BWA History (in no particular order):
1. Opening Day 2013: A record for number of players in one week was set. This was the vision of the Bonfire Wiffleball Association but the record was never broken for the rest of the the league's history.
2. John Cronin's No-Hitter, Week 3 2013: John Cronin stepped on the mound that day and didn't give up a single hit while throwing 10 K's (the max number of strikeouts, 5 inning games, 2 outs/inning). This was before the "medium-slow" pitch speed rule was put in effect. Actually, John was so dominant that the rule had to be put in effect.
3. Joe Cronin hits 11 HR in one game: Pretty self-explanatory. This record hasn't even come close to being broken.
4. Andrew Cronin's Perfect Game: Probably the best moment in BWA history. The fact that an 8 year old could throw a perfect game is what makes this league so special. He didn't strike anyone out, but John and Pat Cronin provided stellar defense to help Andrew achieve history.
5. Week 5 2014: The best regular season game of 2014 occurred in Week 5. A back and forth battle with game tying grand slams and double plays. This game would take a full page to explain and go through all the big events. Watch the video below to try to get a feel for it. You just had to be there. The exciting game starts at 2:21.
6. Week 2, 2014: This was the first time games were played outside of Shed Field. Games took place at Trailer Field. The games here helped give a vision of a new league.
7. 2013 and 2014 Playoffs: Of course the playoffs had to be included. 2013 was a mud bath and the field was incredibly torn up. The passion of the players could be seen by looking at their clothes, if they were dirty, they were trying. 2014 was another exciting playoffs. The highlight of the day was Yvonne Cronin hitting a game-winning HR in the 4th inning and Leonard Cronin making the catch of the year to end the game in the 5th.
The Bonfire Wiffleball Association was filled with many good memories, but the Shed Field Wiffleball League will create many more. Stay along for our journey!